Monday, September 15, 2008

Forgiveness

I was reading my friend Bryn's email and she was talking about this quote that I just loved so I thought I would share.

C.S. Lewis, "Pride gets no pleasure of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man."

Bryn "I really like that quote, from Mere Christianity. The whole section on pride is just fabulous. He also talked about how when you are prideful, you withhold forgiveness for justification and keeping others in debt."

We all know people who just can't seem to let go of conflict, but I never had thought of it as withholding forgiveness for justification and keeping (or in order to keep) others in debt, giving them some type of power over another. It's a sad thing since the person withholding true forgiveness is hurting themselves by stopping their own growth and progression, and trying to force the same on another. Of course the person who is doing this, I would like to think, is not going about it with this purpose. But I think if we all were to examine our own behaviors we might be surprised that we have done this or maybe this is something we do and need to change about ourselves.

Thanks for the thought Bryn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey that's great! I just taught a lesson on Sunday to my class about Forgiving Others. It was a very special lesson. The kids learned a lot, as well as myself. You know most of this comes back to "striving to be like Christ" He wasn't prideful, nor did he withhold forgiving anyone. As he was up on the cross he said; "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." We need to be more like Christ and forgive even the BIGGEST wrong-doings.